A pack of resources to support you in teaching report writing!
As mentioned on my blog (click here), I use Pie Corbett's Talk 4 Writing strategy to teach English. Children are completely immersed with reports from day one and engage in many different activities to keep writing lessons fun, purposeful and content rich.
In this MONTH worth of lessons, children will:
- Act out a text to familiarize themselves with the language needed.
- Make playdough birds based off their research to help the facts stick in their head.
- Research a bird of their choice to write a report about.
- Work in mixed ability pairs to create a bank of useful phrases/vocabulary that they'll need in their report.
- Discuss how author's generally present their reports and the EFFECT it has on the reader. Following this, they will plan how to present their report in a double page spread (see cover photo).
The best part about these lessons is that they are easy to adapt. If you do not wish to write a report about a bird- change it! I have saved the lesson plans as a word document, so they will be easy to change.
These lessons are suitable for 2-4th as the elements of report writing are the same, the expectation will just be higher/lower depending on the age group/ability of your children.
If you're from Ireland, these lesson plans align with the Primary Language Curriculum as their is a MASSIVE focus on oral language/language learning! Can be used in other curriculums too, not specific to Ireland.
This pack includes:
- 4 detailed WEEKLY lesson plans (Yes, 20 days) outlining how to immerse children in reports and spark an interest for them to write in this genre.
- Resources needed for each week.
- Sample photographs from my own classroom to support the teacher.
- 2 quality examples of a report to use as a model text.
- Links to sites to show children how to present their finished piece in a double page spread (see cover image).
- A 'How to use' document and credits page.
Please leave a review and let me know how you got on.